Get your greens!
What better way to enjoy a comfort food like pasta, while getting a heaping serving of greens. And BONUS, it’s a budget friendly meal too!
Mimi is the creative mind behind this easy recipe that utilizes some items that you probably already have on-hand. Who knew cilantro stems and frozen spinach could taste so good in a pasta sauce?!
PASTA WITH GREEN SAUCE
Recipe serves 2-4
- 8 Oz whole grain pasta (cook al dente and then drain)
- 2 TBLS olive oil
- 12 Oz bag frozen or fresh peas
- 4 Oz or more fresh or frozen spinach
- Chopped stems from a bunch of cilantro
(What else are ya gonna do with those stems?)
- 1 onion, chopped
- 4 cloves garlic, minced
- 2 TBLS apple cider vinegar, (mine was homemade)
- 1/2 lemon, juiced
- 1/2 cup nutritional yeast
- Non dairy milk or veggie stock to thin sauce to desired consistency
- salt and pepper to taste
Extra add-ins could include hemp seed, sunflower seeds, or pignoli.
Garnish ideas: sliced heirloom tomatoes, steamed carrots, or beets for color.
*If seeds or nuts are blended in the sauce use more non dairy milk or veggie stock to thin to desired consistency.